Sunday, November 8, 2009

Most of us remember vividly the first time we meet our children. When I met my oldest daughter for the first time she was staring up at me with impossibly blue eyes - wondering. That has been something I have become used to Treasure doing through the years. She wonders about everything, the ridiculous, the mundane, the fantastic. She is always questioning. It seems to be part of who she is.

Two years ago I felt like I stepped into a Stephen King novel when both my little girls were diagnosed with ecoli poisoning. It is rare enough for two children in a home to be hospitalized from ecoli. But when they were both diagnosed with a much rarer, potentially lethal syndrome, caused by the ecoli poisoning, that felt like being struck by lightning twice. The weeks in Pediatric ICU are a blur of tests, doctors, blood transfusions, dialysis and beeping alarms and strange but necessary machines. Then one day the thunder storm seemed to be passing - Tori had recovered enough to go home. Treasure was improving and was undergoing some of her last dialysis sessions. It was one of those last dialysis sessions that Treasure became very uncomfortable and complaining of terrible head pain. She was restless and I was very relieved when the dialysis session was over. I was leaning over her and looking into those impossibly blue eyes again when she calmly looked up to my face with her familiar wonder and asked, "Who are you"? No parent is ever prepared for their 5 year old to not recognize them. But, with the torrent of emotions I was feeling at that moment, never once was I ever mad at my daughter. A steely resolve rose up in me that she should one day know me and how much I loved her again, whatever that would take.
Of course, two years later I have accomplished that goal. But Treasure's past inability to recognize me speaks to a deeper search I have been on over the last decade. Suffice to say that my faith has been ravaged in many ways over the last ten or so years. It was assaulted in every possible way, to such a point that I have on more then one occasion looked up to the heavens and wondered, who are you anyway? I have come to many conclusions while I have sought to answer that question and even settled for an unhappy period of agnosticism when I despaired that question would never be answered.

One thing I am sure of tonight is that my heavenly parent is no more angry at my questions and wonder then I was at my daughter's. Life is complicated and uncertain. I cannot believe that a God would be insulted by my confusion, but instead I do sense a steady leading in my life as this God answers my wondering and challenges my perceptions about who God would be. I have read countless books and spent many hours wondering about God. My beliefs have changed. I was a devout pentecostal girl who was on the edge of all things Charismatic. These days I no longer speak in tongues. I am not involved in endless evangelism, spiritual warfare, worship seminars and everything else Christian ad-nauseum. But, there is a strange satisfaction I am discovering as my wondering is being answered. The God I am rediscovering is different, but no less fantastic. And, I am so caught up in people, and our imperfections and flaws and strengths and weaknesses. How we can be there for each other.

I would not try to convince anybody else of the truths that I am finding. For me they are just the answer to my blue eyes looking up into a storm and wondering. If someone else doesn't see the same thing - well, that's okay, maybe they are just in a different place in their walk or their eyes are looking at a different sky. At least I am no longer afraid to wonder.

2 comments:

  1. Sis, we are within minutes of the same age and we share many of the same early life experiences. I remember you goading me into walking along the top of the crib rails when we were 4, turning me in to mom for all sorts of things that I'll call "just being a little boy", and talking to you late into the night about all sorts of things.

    I gave up on this "faith" thing in our teens, and our paths split for while when I went to college and started my own life. I decided to follow science, but still, your faith continued.

    You lovingly cared for our mother at the end of her life and postponing your own future and family. I could not have done this. You handle burdens that most people never have to consider.

    Over the past few years we've talked, and I'm happy to have reconnected with you. When I talk to the other brothers, it is common to talk about you as the "strong one".

    I too have been reevaluating things. I'm not in line with your beliefs, but did have an interesting revelation the other day.

    I can also say that "I will not try to convince anybody else of the truths I am finding."

    It's based on a bit of reading. For a long time, scientists have been discussing the things that babies do without being taught. The big one is eye contact. Babies seek out eye balls, and lock on. There is no doubt that this is programmed in. There are a few more, but this one is a good example...

    Recently psychologists have been popularizing the theory that some part of our brain is hard wired to believe in the existence of god. It is testable and seems almost beyond doubt at this point.

    I can't say that this means either:
    a) Belief in a god results in increased success of successive generations -- evolutionary processes.
    b) The fingerprint of God exists square in the middle of our brain as proof of his existence -- God exists.

    I can't say which one is true. I can say that regardless of the outcome, both are amazing.

    Think about it. Either we have proof of god, or proof that belief in a god increases our chance of survival. That's pretty cool.

    Also, we now have examples off "we believe what we believe because of our biology", so it's wrong of me to dismiss someone's beliefs because they cannot "prove it". It is likely that there are many more things that we believe only because they are programmed into us.

    That puts EVERYTHING into question.

    In the past two days, I've become much, much more open to different possibilities, and less dismissive of others because they cannot back up their beliefs.

    You and I had a significant change in our beliefs this week.

    Hmmm. Twins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J,
    Thank you for sharing your heart. I am forever grateful to God for your being there for Jeremiah, but most especially for your friendship. (I smile when I think about how you whispered in his ear at the hospital "Why does your mother make you wear those goofy hats??!!)

    So I have to admit I'm saddened to hear about your medical (and therefore emotional) trials with Treasure and Tori because from here in Portland I couldn't walk with you as closely as you did with me.

    On the other hand, we are both loved by God, as are the girls. I'm grateful He knows what we need and bestows grace and strength and peace in such times. Love you so much, and thank you for writing.

    ReplyDelete